CAUTION: We do not ship Abilify Oral Solution medicines. The information below is only an overview of the drug Abilify Oral Solution.
Abilify Oral Solution is a schizophrenic drug , bipolar disorder , depression , and irritability related to autism. Abilify Oral Solution contains Aripiprazole , a drug that includes an atypical antipsychotic quinolinone derivative.
The following is complete information about Abilify Oral Solution accompanied by links to other brands of drugs with the same generic name.
On medical prescription
Abilify Oral Solution is marketed in the following packages:
- Bottle of 150 mL oral solution
Each package of Abilify Oral Solution contains the active substance (generic name) as follows:
- Aripiprazole 1 mg / mL oral solution
An overview of active substances (generic names)
Aripiprazole is an atypical antipsychotic drug used to treat schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. In addition, this drug is also used to treat depression, tic disorders, and irritability related to autism.
Aripiprazole is a quinolinone derivative antipsychotic agent. Unlike other antipsychotics (for example, clozapine, olanzapine , quetiapine , ziprasidone, and risperidone ) which work as D2 receptor antagonists, Aripiprazole acts as a partial agonist of D2. This drug is also a partial agonist at the 5-HT1A receptor, and like other atypical antipsychotics display an antagonistic profile at the 5-HT2A receptor.
The use of Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) is for the treatment of the following conditions:
- For the treatment of acute schizophrenia in adults and adolescents.
- For maintenance therapy in schizophrenia patients and bipolar disorder for children, adolescents and adults.
- Acute mania and mixed episodes of bipolar disorder in children, adolescents and adults.
- As an adjunct therapy for depressive disorders.
- To overcome the irritability associated with autism disorders, especially in children and adolescents.
- should not be given to patients who have a history of hypersensitivity to Aripiprazole.
- Not intended for the treatment of psychosis related to dementia in elderly patients.
- It should not be used if the patient has severe liver damage.
Side effects of Abilify Oral Solution
Here are some of the possible side effects of Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole):
- In adults, the relatively frequent side effects are increased appetite, weight gain, headaches , agitation or anxiety , insomnia , drowsiness, and nasal congestion .
- Side effects in the digestive tract such as nausea , vomiting , dyspepsia and constipation .
- Uncontrolled movements such as restlessness, tremors , and muscle stiffness have been reported in children and adults, but these side effects are rare.
- Other side effects such as agranulocytosis , leukopenia , neutropenia , thrombocytopenia , akathisia, and tardive dyskinesia .
- A potentially fatal side effect is Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome.
The things that must be considered while using Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) are as follows:
- The use of Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) must be stopped if the initial signs of an allergic reaction such as rash, itching, sore throat , fever , arthralgia, pale, or other signs appear, because if it occurs it can be fatal.
- Clinical improvement may take several days to several weeks. Therefore monitoring of patients during this period is recommended.
- Reduce the dose or stop treatment if signs or symptoms of tardive dyskinesia occur.
- Discontinue treatment if the patient develops signs and symptoms indicative of malignant neuroleptic syndrome.
- Be careful using Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) in patients with a history of seizures .
- Because this drug causes drowsiness and can cause anxiety , dizziness , headaches, and muscle disorders, you should not drive or operate machines that require high concentration.
- Aripiprazole was detected in breast milk ( ASI ). It is better not to breastfeed during treatment to avoid the undesirable things for the baby.
- Special attention needs to be given to patients with cardiovascular disease (eg myocardial infarction , ischemic heart disease , heart failure , conduction disorders), cerebrovascular disease , conditions that affect hypotension (eg dehydration , hypovolemia) or hypertension (including accelerated or malignant heart disease ), Parkinson's disease , suicide attempt.
- Attention also needs to be given to patients at risk of seizures, including those who have a history of seizures, head trauma , and brain damage.
Use of Abilify Oral Solution by pregnant women
The FDA (United States Food and Drug Administration) categorizes Aripiprazole into category C with the following explanation:
Research on animal reproduction has shown adverse effects on the fetus and there are no adequate and well-controlled studies in humans, but if the potential benefits can be guaranteed, the use of drugs in pregnant women can be carried out despite the enormous potential risk.
The results of studies in animals cannot always be used as a safety measure of drug use in humans. Because well-controlled clinical research has not been conducted, the use of drugs containing Aripiprazole by pregnant women should be consulted with a doctor.
Do not use Abilify Oral Solution in pregnant women unless the benefits are far greater than the risks that might occur.
Following are interactions of Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) with other drugs:
- Plasma levels of Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) decrease if given together with CYP3A4 inducer drugs (eg carbamazepine ).
- Plasma levels are increased if given together with CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, clarithromycin , ketoconazole ) or CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg fluoxetine , quinidine ).
- Concomitant use with anticholinergic agents can interfere with body temperature regulation.
- Has an additive effect with hypotensive agents.
- Increased sedative and orthostatic hypotensive effects if given with lorazepam and other benzodiazepine drugs.
- Overlapping side effects (eg sedative effects) with drugs acting on the central nervous system .
- Increased depression of the central nervous system if used with ethanol. Do not consume alcohol while using this medicine.
Abilify Oral Solution Dosage
Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) is given in the following dosages:
Dose for irritation related to autistic disorders
- Pediatric patients 6-17 years: 5-15 mg a day. Individual doses are adjusted according to tolerability and response. Initial dose: 2 mg daily. The dose can be increased by 5 mg daily with an increase of up to 10 or 15 mg daily, if needed. Adjustment of the dose up to 5 mg daily must occur gradually at intervals of not less than 1 week.
- Concurrent use with powerful CYP3A4 or CYP2D6 inhibitors: Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) is given at half the usual dose.
- Concurrent use with a combination of weak, moderate, and strong CYP3A4 or CYP2D6 inhibitors: reduce the dose of Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) to one quarter of the usual dose.
- Concurrent use with a powerful CYP3A4 inducer: Abilify Oral Solution (Aripiprazole) is given 2 x the usual dose.